Preventing cavities is one of the main reasons people visit their dentists. In this post from Wilson Dental Group, we’re reviewing five things you need to know about cavities.
1. Cavities are also called caries, or tooth decay. When a tooth is permanently damaged in the hard surface, tiny openings ensue. These little holes are cavities.
2. Factors that contribute to tooth decay are:
- Frequent eating
- Consuming sugary beverages
- Oral bacteria
- Poor dental hygiene
3. Cavities can get so bad that you will see pits or holes in your teeth. But sometimes symptoms are subtle, such as sensitivity, pain when biting, or a toothache. If you notice any of these, you should call us right away to schedule an appointment.
4. Cavities are more common in children, but that doesn’t mean adults don’t have to take precautions.
5. The best way to prevent cavities is to brush your teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste, floss at least once, eat right, skip frequent snacking, and have regular dental checkups.
Contact Wilson Dental Group:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):