At Wilson Dental Group, we’re here to serve you and your family with compassionate care. Sometimes a tooth extraction is unavoidable, but we can help make the process easier for you.
Teeth go through a lot, and if a tooth has deep decay or wear that affects the bone, a patient might need to have the tooth extracted. If you have a problem tooth, come into our office and we’ll take a look inside your mouth to see what needs to be done.
What To Expect
During a tooth extraction procedure, we start by giving you localized anesthesia for a pain-free treatment. After your tooth has been extracted, it’s normal to have a small amount of bleeding.
The dentist will also ask you to do the following:
- Avoid straws for the first 24 hours.
- When you feel like eating again, eat soft foods for the first day or two.
- Don’t smoke or use tobacco for 48 hours.
- If you rinse your mouth with warm water, be gentle.
- Brush and floss as you normally would, except for the teeth right next to the extraction.
- Use recommended pain medication if you need it.
- Apply an ice pack to the affected area if you experience swelling or mild pain.
- Avoid rigorous activity for the first day.
Taking care of yourself will help the extraction area heal faster. If the tissue is disturbed by harsh foods or if drinking through a straw creates suction, dry socket will occur. The bone will be exposed to the air, and healing takes longer than normal.
We want your experience to be a positive one! Our team loves helping children and adults alike, and if you have any questions following your tooth extraction, don’t hesitate to ask.
If you are concerned about a gap in your smile after an extraction procedure, we also offer dental implants and dental bridges. Smile restoration is just another one of the great services we offer.
Call Us Today!
Don’t wait to have a dental problem treated! We’re here to help. If you have a tooth that’s causing you pain or discomfort, call our office today to schedule a consultation.